Why do we love this smoothie? Is it because of the zesty flavors that wake up the palate? The flavor of this smoothie is undeniably delicious, but the real gift is the vitamin C content. Vitamin C is probably the vitamin people talk about the most. It exists in citrus fruit, kiwis, guavas, bell peppers, and berries.
The hype around vitamin C is well-deserved. It is a powerful antioxidant that helps to optimize immune function. Vitamin C is not just for the immune system, though. This antioxidant is necessary for collagen synthesis, optimal iron absorption, brain function, and eye protection. It interacts with other vitamins and minerals in the body to support the growth of necessary cells and tissues. Additionally, it works to aid with toxin elimination.
The average adult woman requires 75 milligrams (mg) of vitamin C per day, while the average adult man requires 90 mg. One grapefruit contains about 40 mg of vitamin C, while one cup of strawberries offers about 84 mg of vitamin C. That means that this smoothie will satisfy your recommended daily amount of vitamin C with ease!
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- 1 grapefruit, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 c strawberries, tops removed and frozen overnight
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cored and chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. You pour in a little filtered water if it doesn't blend easily.
- Pour into a large cup and enjoy the zesty zing!