These vegan stuffed mushrooms are herbaceous, fragrant, and filled with flavors that pack a powerful punch. Whether you are serving these as the first course of your meal or as an appetizer at a party, they are downright delicious. You can even pair them with a salad of arugula, cucumbers, tomatoes, and pine nuts and dress it with that same parsley lemon dressing.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 20m
- Total Time: 35m
For The Stuffed Mushrooms
- 14 medium to large white mushrooms (mine measured 2 – 2.5 inches)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil plus more for brushing the mushrooms
- 3 shallots, finely diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. chopped walnuts
- 3 tbsp. chopped sun-dried tomatoes (dehydrated, not in oil)
- 3 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt plus more for sprinkling the mushroom caps
- Pepper, to taste
For The Parsley Lemon
- 1/4 c finely chopped parsley
- 1 clove of garlic, diced
- The zest of half a lemon
- 1/2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Start with the dressing to give the flavors time to develop. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and taste. Adjust the level of acidity, saltiness and lemon to your liking. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and dice them finely. Brush the mushroom caps on both sides with olive oil, sprinkle the insides with a bit of sea salt and pepper and place them bottom up in a baking dish.
- Heat a medium-sized pan over medium heat and add the 1 tablespoon of olive oil and diced shallots. Fry until transparent then add the sliced garlic. Fry until soft and fragrant then add the chopped mushroom stems. Fry until browned, stirring occasionally, then remove the pan from the heat. Stir through the remaining stuffing ingredients.
- Fill each mushroom cap with the stuffing and bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until the mushrooms are brown and soft. If the tomatoes or parsley begin to burn, cover the pan loosely with tin foil.
- Serve with the dressing on the side to drizzle over the mushrooms.