- 1 tbsp. vegan butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, about 1/2 pound, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. honey or grade A maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 c vegan mayonnaise
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a medium frying pan over moderate heat, and add the sliced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, then caramelize. This should take between 10 and 15 minutes. The lower the heat, the longer it takes, but the less likely you are to burn the onions.
- Once the onions are a medium brown, remove from the heat and add the vinegar.
- Place the onions and vinegar into a small food processor. Add the honey and mustard, and process or blend until smooth.
- Add the mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste, stirring to combine. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.