- • 1 medium sweet potato (about 6 oz), peeled and chopped
- • 1/2 red onion, diced
- • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- • 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- • 2 garlic cloves, minced
- • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- • 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- • 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (you can use gluten free bread crumbs)
- • 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan
- • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- • 1 large egg, lightly beaten or 1 large egg substitute
- Blackberry Salsa
- • 1 pint fresh blackberries, chopped
- • 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- • 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced
- • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- • the juice of 1 lime
- • sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add 1/2 tablespoons olive oil. Add in sweet potato, onion, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, stir, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until potato is soft. Remove lid and add garlic, cooking for 30 seconds.
- Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl (slightly mashing potato with a fork) and add quinoa, breadcrumbs, cheese, herbs, remaining salt and pepper and mix well. Once combined, add in egg, then mix until moistened. Using your hands to bring it together, form four equally-sized patties. Heat the same skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add cakes and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Serve with blackberry salsa!
- Blackberry Salsa Combine all ingredients together in a bowl and mix.