Are you ready to elevate your sweet potato game? You don’t have to say goodbye to baked sweet potatoes or sweet potato fries; rather, it’s time to open a new door to what you can do with these root vegetables. The sweet potato is merely a vessel waiting for you to transform it. Many people add sweet potatoes to different dishes, but this recipe calls for adding ingredients to the potatoes.
For those who are new to the baked sweet potato game, there are a few things to know. First, you must wash the potato to scrub away any dirt or grime. Secondly, poke it with a fork to prevent it from bursting in the oven. Lastly, bake the potato. How you dress it up once it finishes baking is the exciting part. This recipe, for example, is a classic take on a roll with taco bowl, only the sweet potato is both the bowl and the filling. The toppings are peppers and onions, which add a sweet, caramelized flavor.
Once the potatoes finish baking, remove them from the oven and allow to cool until they’re easy enough to handle. We don’t want anyone playing a literal game of hot potato. After you slice the potatoes open lengthwise, you’ll stuff them with the peppers and onions. Garnish with avocado and chopped cilantro. You can thank us later, or do it in the comments.
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:1h
- Total Time:1h 10m
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 c red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 c brown onion, thinly sliced
- pinch of sea salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- chopped cilantro (optional garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 400º F.
- Wash your sweet potatoes and poke them 4-5 times in different spots. Place the potatoes on a small baking sheet and bake in the oven for about one hour, or until soft.
- When the sweet potatoes are almost finished baking, warm the olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and onion the pan and season with sea salt and pepper.
- After a couple minutes of tossing the peppers and onions, add the cumin, oregano, chili powder, and lime juice to the pan. Toss to evenly coat the peppers and onions in the seasonings. Cook for one more minute and remove from heat.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven when they are tender and allow them to cool at room temperature for ten minutes.
- Slice the sweet potatoes down the center, and open them to create a pocket. Spoon the peppers and onions in each sweet potato and place some avocado slices on top of each one. You decide if you want cilantro on top. Enjoy!