Good news, folks: we finally found the best tabbouleh recipe. It’s not just good, it’s great! In fact, it may stand up next to the tabbouleh at your favorite Middle Eastern restaurant, but we aren’t making any claims. This is a refreshing vegan dish is quite light, but also filling. You can enjoy it on its own or as an accompaniment to a larger meal. Tabbouleh is great for summer because the zesty flavor profile is refreshing on hotter summer days.
The main ingredient in tabbouleh is bulgur, which is parboiled cracked wheat, i.e. a whole grain. After you soak bulgur in hot water for about 40 minutes, it absorbs the water and becomes light and fluffy. It has a similar look to couscous and quinoa, but it is not the same by any means. Most people want to boil bulgur to cook it the same way they cook rice or quinoa, but the authentic way to prepare it is to soak it in hot water. This method yields the fluffiest bulgur for your tabbouleh.
Next to bulgur, parsley is the prominent ingredient in tabbouleh, which is why the salad is so green. It also contains green onion and fresh mint, which contributes to the green color and fresh flavor. Mint is standard in tabbouleh and is a complementary herbaceous note that complements the acidic tomato and crunchy cucumber. Have we said that the salad is refreshing enough yet? Well, it’s just light, airy, straight up delicious, and refreshing!
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:40m
- Total Time:50m
- 1/2 c bulgur
- 1 c hot water
- 2 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 c mint, chopped
- 2 c parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Add the bulgur to a small heat-safe bowl and pour the hot water over. Give it a quick stir and allow it to soak up the water for 40 min.
- During this time, the bulgur will cook and become nice and fluffy. It will also be ready to handle after 40 minutes.
- While the bulgur is soaking, you can prepare the vegetables and herbs.
- Add the soaked bulgur to a large bowl with the chopped vegetables and herbs. Toss gently to combine.
- Drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice over the bowl and then season with sea salt and pepper. Toss to combine and then taste, adjusting seasonings as needed.
- You can refrigerate the salad for an hour or so, or you can serve immediately. Enjoy!