- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 c finely chopped black olives
- 1 can fire-roasted chopped tomatoes (15 ounce can, with juice)
- 1 1/2 c cooked black beans, drained (or 1 15 ounces can)
- 1 1/2 c cooked kidney beans chopped in tiny pieces (or 1 15 ounce can)
- 2 1/4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground cayenne
- 1/2 c fresh chopped cilantro
- sea salt to taste (I used about 1 tsp.)
- 6 vegan burger buns (I chose a whole wheat variety, but any kind works.)
- Heat up olive oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion, green bell pepper, and garlic and sauté until onion is tender and becoming clear.
- Add remaining ingredients (except buns, obviously), and allow mixture to simmer until most of the juices are cooked off. When the texture of your sloppy joes resembles that of a very thick chili, you know it's done.
- Toast your vegan burger buns, if desired, and serve sloppy joes with your favorite greens.