It’s hard to claim the very best guacamole, but here we are doing just that. It is very simple to make and uses high quality ingredients. All you need is onion, cilantro, avocado, tomato, jalapeño pepper, lime juice, garlic, and sea salt. The last, and potentially most important, thing you need is a molcajete or mortar and pestle. Ideally, use a molcajete because it is the best kitchen tool for amazing guacamole.
A molcajete is similar to a mortar and pestle, but it’s just better. It has been used by people in the landmass now known as Mexico for thousands of years. Traditionally, a molcajete was made from volcanic rock or stone, and it consists of a bowl that stands on three legs. It comes with a tapered instrument that you hold and grind or mash whatever is in the bowl. The naturally textured surface of the bowl can help you turn whole ingredients into a smooth mixture. As you grind them into a paste, they release flavorful compounds and aromas along the way.
The key to making the best guacamole is that you have to grind the garlic and jalapeño into a paste. You can then add the chopped avocado and continue to smash it into a chunky dip. Once you add the diced onion, tomatoes, and cilantro, you can simply fold them into the guacamole with a large spoon. You don’t want to mash those ingredients in with the avocados. The reason for that is because the diced texture of those ingredients beautifully complements the smooth avocado mixture. Let’s see if you think this guacamole is all that by leaving a comment below.
- Prep Time:15m
- Total Time:15m
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 3 avocados, pitted, peeled, and cubed
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Add the minced garlic and diced jalapeño to a molcajete or mortar and pestle and mash into a paste.
- Add the cubed avocado to the same bowl and mash until you get a chunky, yet slightly smooth mixture. Your guacamole can be as chunky or smooth as you like.
- Fold in the diced onion, tomatoes, and chopped cilantro and then squeeze the lime into the guac. Season with sea salt and mix well.
- Serve with some freshly chopped vegetable sticks or some raw vegan tacos and enjoy.