Tortilla soup is one of our favorite comfort meals, and the best part is that you don’t feel heavy or bloated after eating it. The tomato base is seasoned with the fragrant spices. You can even add a dash of cayenne or some chili powder if you want to crank up the heat.
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:30m
- Total Time:40m
For the Tortilla Soup
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 c onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. organic tomato paste
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 4 c low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 c fresh tomato, diced
- 2/3 c organic canned black beans, drained
- 2/3 c zucchini, diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp. jalapeño, finely diced
- 1 c organic frozen corn
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1 c tortilla strips, baked
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and then add the onions and garlic. Cook until they are lightly browned (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in tomato paste and cumin and cook for an additional minute before pouring in the vegetable broth and cilantro.
- Bring the broth to a boil before reducing the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, zucchini, jalapeño, and corn to the pot and simmer until the vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes). Season with sea salt and pepper, stir well, and remove from the heat.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with your desired toppings.