Rice is incredibly easy to make, but it’s good to change it up from time to time. One of the best ways to do that is by cooking rice with coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and turmeric. Those ingredients create magical flavor combinations that entice your taste buds to come back for more with every bite.
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 c basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 7 oz lite coconut milk (about half of a 15 oz. can)
- 1 1/4 c water
- 1 tbsp. chopped basil (for serving)
- Warm the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and sea salt to the pan and stir. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until onions are golden.
- Add the rice and turmeric to the saucepan and stir to combine. Let the rice cook for a couple minutes before adding the coconut milk and water.
- Stir to combine and raise the heat to bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and let the rice cook for about 15-18 minutes, or until the liquid is fully absorbed.
- Spoon the rice into a bowl and top with freshly chopped basil.