Basil is a wonderful ingredient that lends itself to both sweet and savory recipes. When you take a bite of this cornbread, your palate is delighted with the herbaceous flavor of basil, which balances the subtle sweetness of the bread.
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:35m
- Total Time:45m
- 2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 c cornmeal
- 1 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 c organic coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp. grade A maple syrup
- 1/2 c fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 c frozen organic corn
- Preheat your oven to 350º F. Whisk the almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a medium-sized mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix the cornmeal, whole wheat flour, and sea salt in a different mixing bowl.
- Add the melted coconut oil and maple syrup to the bowl with the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Whisk until the mixture is foamy and bubbly.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, whisking as you pour to avoid clumping. The better should be thick.
- Stir in the basil and the frozen corn.
- Use a spoon or spatula to transfer the batter into an 8x8 glass baking dish. You can also pour the batter into cupcake molds, but the cooking time will be less. That's fine, but you have to monitor them more frequently.
- Bake at 350º F for approximately 30–35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven once the cornbread is done and let it cool slightly before serving.