- 2 c cornmeal (I used Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- 1 c whole wheat pastry flour (or GF all-purpose flour or even almond flour)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 c organic coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 c unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 c chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 c frozen organic corn
- Combine the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) in a medium-sized bowl and wisk together. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients together (cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt) in a medium-sized bowl and stir until well combined.
- Add the melted coconut oil and maple syrup to the non-dairy milk mixture and wisk until foamy and bubbly.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. (The batter will be thick).
- Stir in the basil and the frozen corn.
- Use a spoon or spatula to transfer the batter into an 8 x 8 glass baking dish (or french onion soup bowls like I used, because it looks so cute like that!)
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 – 35 minutes.