If you frequent the grocery store, you have probably noticed and increase in the amount of vegan food products. People who are lactose intolerant, or those who prefer dairy-free food options, greatly appreciate the increase in vegan food substitutes. That said, many of these products contain a lot of processed ingredients and excess sodium. Unfortunately, that is not great news for your health, which is why we always encourage people to make their own homemade versions, for example, this vegan cream cheese.
Cashew cream cheese is the perfect spread for bread, crackers, bagels, and more. It also makes for a great dip and you can incorporate it into all sorts of no-bake appetizers or desserts, such as cheesecake or cream cheese truffles. Not only is this cream cheese dairy-free, but it is also gluten-free, grain-free, paleo, and easy to prepare. You only need a blender and three simple ingredients: cashews, coconut oil, and lemon juice. Sea salt, nutritional yeast, and onion powder are listed as optional ingredients on the ingredient list. You can easily flavor your cream cheese with one, two, or all of those ingredients!
This recipe requires you to soak the cashews in boiling water for about 15 to 20 minutes. This helps to soften the cashews, allowing them to blend smoothly. Let’s face it: nobody wants a grainy or nutty cream cheese. Soaking the cashews helps make this spread the creamiest vegan cream cheese ever! Although you can use a high-speed blender, a food processor will yield a creamier consistency. Let us know how you like it in the comments below.
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:20m
- Total Time:30m
- 2 c cashews
- 1/4 c refined coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (optional)
- 1 tsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp. onion powder (optional)
- Place the cashews in a heat-safe bowl and add four cups of boiling water. Let them stand for about 15-20 minutes, or until very plump.
- Drain the cashews and rinse before adding to a high-speed blender or food processor. Add in the coconut oil, lemon juice, and other optional ingredients.
- Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed to fully incorporate the ingredients. This should take about three minutes or so.
- Spoon the cream cheese into an airtight jar or container and refrigerate until ready to use. Use the cream cheese like a spread on toast, or as a dip for vegetables.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks. We do not recommend that you freeze it.