This recipe is perfect for dinner and even better for leftovers the next day. All of the flavors entice you to keep coming back for more bites, long after you are full.
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Total Time: 55m
- 1/2 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 large organic bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk organic celery, diced
- 1 c lentils
- 2 large organic carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 large white potatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 c fresh okra, chopped
- 1/2 c canned organic chickpeas, drained
- 3 c organic canned diced tomatoes
- 4 c organic low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. seafood seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 c quinoa
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the oil and flour and cook until it turns a light brown. Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the quinoa, to the pot and turn to a low heat. Cover the pot and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the gumbo is simmering, cook the quinoa according to the package instructions.
- Spoon the quinoa into bowls and ladle the gumbo over the quinoa. By the way, if you don't want to make quinoa, you don't have to. You can eat the gumbo on its own.