How do you enjoy a snack that fills you up but doesn’t weigh you down? This can be a challenge, especially if your goal is to find that perfect pre-workout snack. The best way to ensure optimal performance and energy during your workout is to fill up with protein, healthy fats, and fiber. Fortunately for you, the ingredients in these chocolate chia power balls contain all of those nutrients, and then some! Plus, who doesn’t love a chocolatey treat? Especially one that is healthy!
The rolled oats and chia seeds give these power balls the power you need to get through your workout, or a dull afternoon at the office. Maybe you need a little fuel while out with the kids. Whatever you need the energy for, these chocolate chia power balls can help. If you’ve made energy bites or power balls before, you’ll notice that this recipe differs from most others. For example, this recipe doesn’t contain nuts or dates. Additionally, this recipe doesn’t require a food processor or high-speed blender. That is because you melt the almond butter, maple syrup, and cacao powder over low heat before mixing them with the rolled oats and chia seeds.
Once you mix those ingredients together, refrigerate it for about five minutes to cool down. Once you remove the mixture from the fridge, you can fold in the dairy-free chocolate chips. The reason you want to cool your chocolate, oat, and chia mixture is so the chocolate chips don’t melt. You want the power balls to have chocolate chunks! It’s like
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:5m
- Total Time:15m
- 1/2 c almond butter
- 1/3 c maple syrup
- 1/4 c raw cacao powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c rolled oats
- 1/4 c chia seeds
- 1/4 c dairy-free chocolate chips
- Place a small saucepan over medium-low heat and add the almond butter, maple syrup, and raw cacao powder. Stir together and then add the sea salt and vanilla, whisking gently to combine.
- Add the oats and chia seeds to a large mixing bowl and toss gently. Once cooled slightly, pour the chocolate mixture over the oats and seeds and mix well. Get in there with your hands to fully incorporate the ingredients.
- Set this mixture in the fridge for five minutes to cool and then remove it from the fridge. Add in the chocolate chips, mix well, and then roll the mixture into bite-size balls.
- Place the balls in a container lined with parchment paper to avoid sticking and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes to set.
- Enjoy when ready. Leftover will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.