When you come off of a cleanse, the last thing you want to do is flood the body with unhealthy foods. Many people enjoy bagels and cream cheese for breakfast, but consuming gluten and dairy products after a cleanse is a recipe for disastrous results. This combo will impair digestion and may even result in side effects that result from food sensitivities. That’s where recipes like this healthier vegan cream cheese come into play.
There’s something we have to tell you about this vegan cream cheese: it doesn’t taste like the real deal. It’s not the same as that classic schmear, but it is very delicious. Things can be delicious if they are dairy-free too! The best part about this vegan cream cheese is the fact that it’s full of healthy fats and beneficial nutrients. All you need is a food processor, five minutes of your time, and a vessel for the final product. We hope you love it as much as we do!
Note: It’s wise to soak the cashews in water for at least two hours before you make the cream cheese. Drain the water and then proceed with the blending process.
- Prep Time: 5m
- Total Time: 5m
- 1 1/2 c raw cashews (soaked for 2 hours, then drained)
- 1/4 c unsweetened non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3 tbsp. diced chives (optional)
- 1 tsp. onion powder (optional)
- After soaking and straining the cashews, add them to a food processor.
- It is best to use cashew-based yogurt since you are using cashews, but any non-dairy yogurt will suffice.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and blend until smooth. You may need to stop blend, scrape down the sides, and continue blending to ensure that everything is thoroughly blended.
- You do not have to add the chives and onion powder, but those two ingredients elevate the flavor profile.
- Serve immediately on bagels, multigrain bread, or vegetable sticks.
- Store any leftover cream cheese in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.