There are three ways that you can go about cooking this eggplant bacon. You can bake it, dehydrate it, or cook it in the frying pan. If you are looking for the quickest route with a little more crisp, we definitely recommend cooking it the frying pan.
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 1h
- 1 eggplant, sliced 1/8" - 1/4" thick
- 1/4 c liquid aminos
- 1/4 c 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. + 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- No matter which cooking route you decide to go, you must marinate the eggplant for 30 minutes.
- To make the marinade, add the liquid aminos, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, paprika, liquid smoke, and olive oil to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the sliced eggplants in a glass baking dish and pour the marinade over. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 300º F and line a baking sheet (you may need two depending on the size of the eggplant) with a silicone mat, if you have one.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the marinade and place evenly across the baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for about 25-35 minutes, or until crispy. Remove once you see it starting to crisp.
- Place the eggplant strips on dehydrator sheets, insert them into the dehydrator, and dehydrate at 110º for about 3 hours or until crispy.
- Warm a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add the eggplant slices, 3-4 at a time, and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Once each side is brown and the slices are crispy, remove from the pan and continue to cook the remaining slices.