The best thing about using the crockpot is that you can just throw every ingredient in there in the morning, come home from work, and have dinner ready for you. It’s like you parented for yourself. Go you!
- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:6h
- Total Time:6h 15m
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow, white or red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 c vegetable broth at room temperature (make your own vegetable broth from scraps)
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- 3/4 c freshly made apple juice
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 large ribs celery, cut into chunks
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp. pearl barley
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 green onions, chopped, for garnish (optional) or coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- In large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to crockpot.
- Add vegetable broth and nutritional yeast to the crockpot; stir to dissolve nutritional yeast. Add apple juice and apple cider vinegar to the crockpot.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for the green onions, to the crockpot. Stir well, cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When you are ready to serve, remove the bay leaf and ladle the stew into bowls. Sprinkle generously with chopped green onions or chopped parsley.