For the Salad
- 1 c of quinoa
- 1 c of red lentils
- 2 c of cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 c of nutritional yeast
- 1 c of hemp seeds
- 1 c of almonds roughly chopped
- 1/2 a cup of chickpea flour
- 1/2 white or yellow onion (grated or finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- juice of half a lemon
- splash of extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt & pepper
For the Dressing
- 1/3 c of fresh orange juice
- 1 carrot (blanched, boiled or roasted until tender)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp. tahini
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the chickpeas in chickpea flour to coat.
- Heat a pan with a dash of your favorite high-heat oil (sunflower, safflower, or rice bran) and fry the chickpeas until light brown and crispy.
- Add some salt, pepper and garlic powder if you like.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, thoroughly rinse the lentils and quinoa.
- Cooked both the cup of lentils and the cup of quinoa together with the carrot in about 3 1/2 cups water. The lentils will cook a little faster (you can cook them separately).
- After it’s cooked and drained, place the lentil / quinoa mix in a large bowl with a half of a finely chopped or grated onion, garlic powder, generous dash of olive oil, juice of half a lemon and generous salt and pepper.
- Next add the fried chickpeas, nutritional yeast and hemp seeds.
- Make the dressing, it’s so good!
- Combine all dressing ingredients together and blend in your food processor, blender or immersion blender, salt and pepper to taste.
This salad is good just by itself, on a lettuce boat or stuffed in a pita (you can find gluten free pita bread in health food stores).