This is unlike any cashew cheese that you’ve ever tasted. Filled with heart-healthy fats and protein, this raw vegan cheese is is creamy, sliceable, and has a refined smokiness from the paprika. The cheesy flavor comes from the nutritional yeast, which is an essential pantry item for anyone on a vegan diet. You can pair this cheese with fresh apple or pear slices for a lovely afternoon snack. Don’t knock it until you try it!
You can add slices to healthy crackers as well. Lastly, be warned that the texture differs from a regular block of cheese. This cheese is much softer and creamier, almost like brie.
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:5m
- Total Time:15m
- 1 c raw cashews
- 1/2 c nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. grade A maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. agar agar powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- juice of one lemon
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 14 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 c Water
- pinch of sea salt
- Add everything (except for the agar agar and 3/4 cup water) to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining half (3/4 cup) of water and the agar agar to a medium pan over medium-low heat.
- Simmer for five minutes, stirring throughout. You do not want any agar agar lumps in the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the cashew cheese mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the mixture into a mold, which is lined with parchment paper, for one hour so it can firm up.
- Remove the cheese from the refrigerator, slice, and enjoy. Consume the cheese within five days and keep refrigerated.