Whoever says that vegans can’t enjoy Thanksgiving is wrong. There are many Thanksgiving flavors and dishes that can be veered in a vegan direction; you just have to be a little creative in the kitchen. These smashed potatoes are a great appetizer and perfect addition to your vegan Thanksgiving. The fresh thyme and cranberry sauce make the dish!
Tip: Make sure you cook your cranberry sauce when you start boiling your potatoes. This way the two will be done at the same time.
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:35m
- Total Time:45m
For the Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lb bag of The Little Potato Company's Blushing Belles
- olive oil (to brush potatoes)
- sea salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme
- black pepper to taste
For The Cranberry Sauce
- 4 c of fresh or defrosted frozen cranberries
- 1 c filtered water
- 1/2 c freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1/2 c dried cherries
- 1/3 c pure maple syrup, plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger, plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp. finely grated orange zest
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, plus more to taste
- Pinch of sea salt
For the Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cover potatoes with water in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until the largest potato feels tender in the center (when poked with a fork).
- Drain potatoes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Smash each potato with a large spatula so each potato is about ½\" thick. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with a generous amount of sea salt. Bake for 20 minutes or until potatoes are crisp and golden. Top each potato with ½ tsp cranberry sauce, a sprinkle of fresh thyme, and black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
For the Cranberry Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients, and on a high heat bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-high, and simmer, uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes until some of the cranberries have burst open, and the mixture reduces and thickens. Smash the remaining cranberries with a wooden spoon or use a stick blender to reach your desired consistency.
- Remove from the heat, and allow to cool. Then top on the potatoes