Even though there is prep work involved, don’t be afraid of this soup. Once you prepare everything, though, you simmer all of the ingredients in one large pot. The great thing about soups is that they are one pot meals, meaning that you don’t have a lot of dishes to clean! Plus, the flavors intensify for as long as you let them simmer that pot. Get ready to delight your taste buds!
- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:35m
- Total Time:40m
- Serves: 8 servings
- Category: Soups & Stews, Entrees, Vegan, Vegetarian
For the Soup
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 c white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 c low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 c fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 c tomatoes, chopped
- 2/3 c frozen corn
- 16 oz can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed thoroughly
- 2/3 c zucchini diced into small cubes
- 1 -2 tbsp jalapeno, finely diced
- a few dashes of hot sauce
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 2 -4 corn tortillas, sliced into strips and baked to get crispy
- fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- fresh jalapeno, finely chopped
For the Soup
- Warm the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste, cumin, and vegetable broth to the pot and mix well. Stir in the cilantro and a dash of sea salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Dump the tomatoes, corn, beans, zucchini, and diced jalapeno into the pot and stir to combine. Simmer for an additional 20 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Ladle the soup into several bowls.
For the Optional Toppings
- Top each bowl with your desired garnish items. We encourage using all of them for maximum flavor.