Cabbage is a very versatile vegetable (say that five times fast!) that can easily take on seasonings and flavors. This soup is great for helping you stay warm, but it also works to nourish your gut. If you want to add some extra spices, go for it!
- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:20m
- Total Time:25m
- Serves: 4 people
- Category: Soups & Stews, Entrees, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 3 c green cabbage, chopped
- 1 c tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp. organic tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 c yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 c raw corn kernels
- 1/2 c broccoli florets
- 1 c carrots, chopped
- 1 c celery, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 c vegetable stock
- olive oil for sautéing
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil and warm over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, celery, broccoli, and carrots until they begin to soften (about 5 minutes). As you stir them, season with sea salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Add the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, and the basil. Stir for an additional two minutes.
- Add the cabbage, corn, vegetable broth, and more sea salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat after ten minutes and then stir in the lemon juice. Serve and enjoy.