You don’t have to sacrifice flavors when you make a vegetarian rendition of a classic recipe that contains animal products. If you make this vegetarian and vegan tortilla soup for other people, they may corner you and demand the recipe. We are not sorry for this. We do not apologize for delicious flavors.
- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:40m
- Total Time:55m
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (1 pound) package frozen pepper and onion stir fry mix
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers, drained
- 4 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 12 ounces tortilla strips
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the pepper and onion stir fry mix, garlic, and cumin and cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, chile peppers, and the broth. Mix well and season with sea salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and then simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- During the last 5 minutes of the simmer time, add the corn into the soup. Remove from heat and serve in bowls, sprinkling equal amounts of tortilla strips in each bowl. Top with diced avocado and enjoy.