What do you need when you’re hanging out by the pool or at a picnic on a warm day? No, it’s not a cocktail, but it is this watermelon cucumber basil lemonade. With a refreshing zest and just the right amount of sweetness, this drink is one for the books. In fact, we think that you’ll be making pitchers of this lemonade all summer long.
Because watermelon is naturally sweet, you don’t have to add any other sweeteners like agave nectar of maple syrup. Not only is this lemonade great for adults, but it’s also great for the kiddos, preggos, and anyone who wants to enjoy a healthy non-alcoholic beverage. Plus the hydrating nature of watermelon, cucumber, and lemon help enhance your hydration efforts when the heat is beating down on you. Plus, you get a healthy dose of several important vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A & C, potassium, magnesium, manganese, fiber, and vitamin K.
Basil may seem like an odd addition to this lemonade, but trust us when we tell you that it truly makes the drink. If you don’t like basil and you prefer mint, you can swap those two herbs and use the same measurement. Both basil and mint work well with every ingredient in this lemonade, complementing the sweetness and tartness of each ingredient. And if you know anything about cocktails, cucumber and herbs make for the perfect combination. Should you have leftover lemonade, which you won’t, you can pour the mixture into popsicle molds or an ice tray to have different options for enjoying it in the future!
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- Serves: 4 servings
- Category: Full Body Cleanse Approved, Smoothies & Juices, Raw, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 3 c watermelon, cubed
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 c basil leaves
- 1/2 c freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- ice (for serving)
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve, cheesecloth, or strainer and use a spoon to help push all the liquid through the straining device. You can work in batches if needed and then discard the pulp.
- Pour the strained liquid over ice and enjoy. Garnish with fresh cucumber slices and a watermelon wedge.