If ever there was a time of year to drink a green smoothie, it would be during the holiday season. Festive treats, heavy dinners, and end-of-the-year parties with buffets are commonplace. You need a light meal option to start your day right! That’s not to say that a green smoothie will fix your dietary woes, but it can help provide the body with essential minerals that you may not get from those other indulgent holiday meals.
We have a new pro smoothie tip for you because this recipe calls for hemp hearts. Rather than going through the effort to make your own hemp milk, add a scoop of hemp hearts and water to the smoothie. Hemp hearts blend easily so blending all of the ingredients together yields both a smoothie and fresh hemp milk in one! Isn’t that smart? If you enjoy making your own hemp milk, you can always make the hemp milk ahead of time by clicking here.
Hemp hearts exhibit a slightly nutty flavor, which pairs beautifully with the subtle spice of the ginger and cinnamon. Freshly squeezed lemon juice may seem like an interesting ingredient, but it provides a refreshing relief that also complements the sweetness of the pear. The small amount of coconut oil provides healthy fats that benefit both the heart and brain. Finally, make sure to discard the thick kale stems, or else your smoothie will have a bitter taste to it.
- Prep Time:5m
- Total Time:5m
- 1/2 c kale, thick stems removed
- 1/2 c spinach
- 1/4 c mint leaves
- 2 tbsp. hemp hearts
- 1 -inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pear, cored and chopped
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. You can add a little more water if the smoothie is too thick for your liking.
- Pour into two cups and enjoy immediately. Consider topping your smoothie with some extra hemp hearts, if you so desire.