Cherries may be some of the best summer produce items. They are beautifully tart and balance the subtle tang with a pleasant complementary sweetness. Since cherries are the freshest during summer, take advantage of them before their season is over. Plus, it helps that they are more affordable during the summer months. Cherries are also rich in a variety of nutrients and offer a great many health benefits.
One of the most impressive facts about cherries is that they contain beneficial antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. The high concentration of these compounds work to combat oxidative stress, which increases the risk for several chronic diseases. One review found that 11 of the 16 studies had one thing in common: eating cherries reduced inflammation. Another review found that eight out of 10 studies concluded that cherries lowered inflammatory markers in the body.
Cherries may not be the first go-to smoothie ingredients, but that may change after you make this recipe. The creamy blend of cherries, almond butter, bananas, and almond milk makes for a filling smoothie. This recipe also utilizes alcohol-free almond extract, which rarely makes an appearance in our cleanse-approved recipes. It enhances the almond flavor, adding just the right amount of nuttiness to complement the sweet fruits. We hope you enjoy the smoothie.
- 1 banana, peeled and frozen overnight
- 1 c cherries, pitted and frozen overnight
- 2 c organic spinach
- 1 tbsp. raw almond butter
- 1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. alcohol-free almond extract
- 1/2 c homemade almond milk
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- If the smoothie is too thick, you can add more homemade almond milk or a little filtered water to thin it out.
- Serve in one large cup or two smaller cups for smaller portions.