As interesting as it may sound, chocolate and orange is a classic flavor combination. The bright, citrusy sweetness of orange pairs beautifully with the bittersweet flavor profile of raw cacao. It’s just what you needed and you didn’t even know it. In addition to being a wonderfully flavorful dessert, this chocolate orange pudding is also rich in beneficial nutrients. From healthy fats and fiber to magnesium, potassium, and protein, this dessert is one you don’t have to feel guilty about eating.
A basic raw vegan chocolate pudding recipe typically includes raw cacao powder, avocado, and raw agave or grade A maple syrup. You cannot taste the avocado because the chocolate is so intense. The avocado is the perfect ingredient that contributes to a smooth, filling pudding. This recipe also calls for banana, which enhances the texture, making it more luxurious. The banana also adds another level of sweetness, which some people crave when they dive into a raw chocolate pudding. For the banana, it’s best to use one that is ripe, but not overly ripe. The avocado should be slightly firm, but you don’t want it to be underripe. That will make you taste the avocado flavor.
In addition to maintaining optimal creaminess, the combination of avocado and banana provides a healthy fat content and natural sweetness. If you are extremely opposed to using banana, please substitute it with more avocado. In doing so, however, you will reduce the level of sweetness and you may need to add more maple syrup as a result. Adjust the flavors to your liking because your taste buds matter most; although, it’s probably best if you don’t drown this recipe in maple syrup. You don’t want to overpower everything. The idea is to taste that zing from the orange through the chocolate.
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- 1 large avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 3 1/2 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 3 1/2 tbsp. grade A maple syrup
- 1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1/2 c freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until creamy.
- You may need to stop blending, scrape down the sides, and continue blending to fully incorporate the ingredients.
- If the pudding is too thick, add a touch more orange juice. Taste and adjust accordingly.
- Spoon the pudding into a bowl and top with a fresh orange slice (optional or raw cacao nibs (optional).
- You also have the option to freeze the pudding and enjoy it as ice cream. Enjoy!