Fall is almost here and the pumpkins are already out! People have their carving kits out and can’t wait to scoop out pumpkins and carve spooky faces in them. What happens to the seeds, though? Most people discard them, while others save and roast them to have as a healthy snack. You may not be able use those seeds to make the pesto in this raw vegan entree, but you can purchase raw pumpkin seeds.
Raw pumpkin seeds, which you can readily find in most grocery stores, are the green seeds that are within the white shells that you find in pumpkins. They have a unique flavor and are excellent sources of zinc, magnesium, protein, fiber, manganese, vitamin K, and healthy fats. They blend easily to create a creamy pesto that you’re guaranteed to love. How can you not love pesto? It’s a sauce you can eat by the spoonful!
For this recipe, the pesto sauce uses fresh basil leaves, sea salt, olive oil, garlic, pumpkin seeds, and apple cider vinegar. The apple cider vinegar is an acidic component that breathes life into the sauce. You temper the assertiveness of the vinegar and basil with a small amount of raw agave nectar. It’s truly an amazing sauce that easily coats your zoodles, which you can spiralize yourself or purchase in the grocery store.
- Prep Time:15m
- Total Time:15m
- Category: Full Body Cleanse Approved, Entrees, Raw, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 1 c raw pumpkin seeds, (soaked for 2 hours then drained)
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. raw agave nectar
- 1 c fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 zucchini, spiralized
- After soaking the pumpkin seeds in water, make sure the drain them.
- Add the soaked pumpkin seeds, olive oil, minced garlic, apple cider vinegar, agave, basil, and sea salt to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- You may need to stop blending, scrape down the sides, and continue blending to get the right consistency.
- Add the spiralized zucchini to a large bowl and pat dry with paper towels.
- Spoon the pesto over the zoodles and toss to coat. Serve in separate bowls and enjoy.