Every now and again, you just need a break from hot meals. The summer heat can make you feel tired, sluggish, and eating heavy, hot meals doesn’t counteract those feelings. In fact, eating heavier meals with lots of carbs and calories uses up the body’s energy stores. The body uses most of its energy for digestion, leaving you feeling as though you cannot move. Don’t be that person when there are so many healthier options available to you, much like this recipe.
Zucchini noodles are an excellent gluten-free, raw vegan alternative to pasta. You can eat them cold or hot, but this recipe does not call for cooking. Now, you need a vegetable spiralizer if you want to enjoy zucchini noodles. Zucchini noodles are available for purchase in most grocery stores, but they can be more expensive than the zucchini itself. A simple spiralizer is cost effective and easy to use. It’s best to get the one with a hand crank that you can stick to your countertop while in use. Handheld varieties can be tricky to use, so don’t go for those ones, unless you already have one that works for you.
You’ll notice that the sauce is oil-free and gluten-free. The vibrant green comes from the spinach, which doesn’t have an assertive flavor. The nutritional yeast and mint leaves make up for it though, offering subtle notes of cheesy and herbaceous flavors. Using cashews in the sauce adds body, but they also add amazing texture, which is reminiscent of a classic pesto sauce.
- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:10m
- Serves: 2 servings
- Category: Full Body Cleanse Approved, Entrees, Raw, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 1 zucchini, spiralized
- 1 c raw cashews (soaked in water and then drained)
- 1 c spinach
- 1/8 c nutritional yeast
- 4 mint leaves
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Add the spiralized zucchini to a bowl and pat dry with paper towels.
- Strain the cashews to discard the soaking liquid. Add them to the food processor with the spinach, nutritional yeast, mint, and sea salt and pepper.
- Blend the ingredients until you get a smooth consistency.
- Spoon the sauce over the zucchini noodles and toss to combine. Serve and enjoy.