For those who don’t want to deal with all the carbs of regular pizza dough, this is a much healthier option that is surprisingly delicious. Try it out and you might like it more than the real thing!
- Prep Time:45m
- Cook Time:38m
- 2 c zucchini, finely grated, lightly packed
- 6 c almond meal
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, (vegans, use a chickpea egg: 4 T. chickpea flour + 4 T. water or another egg substitute)
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil (or another high smoke point oil such as walnut or coconut)
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt (you don’t need much because the zucchini will retain some)
- Place the grated zucchini in a strainer.
- Sprinkle the zucchini with some salt, toss it to disperse.
- Place the strainer over a large bowl, and let the zucchini drain for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the grated zucchini into a dry dish towel, and wring the towel over the sink until the water from the zucchini is squeezed out.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add almond meal as needed to make a dough (not too wet, not too dry).
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread the zucchini mix out into an oval shape. I use a fork to do this, and I press it down to compact it as well.
- Place the pan on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Then place the pan on the top rack of the oven for about 8 minutes, until browned.
- Remove the pan and flip the crust.Bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the crust.Turn the oven up to 500 degrees.
- Top the pizza with sauce or pesto, cheese, vegetables….whatever floats your pizza boat!
- Place the pan back into the oven on the bottom rack and bake for 3-4 minutes.
- Again, place the pan on the top rack for about 2 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes to let everything set.
- Slice and enjoy!!